The Learning Center’s core belief is that through education, including both angling skills and environmental stewardship, fly fishing will grow and be preserved for future generations.
The founders of the Federation of Fly Fishermen back in 1965 wrote: We, in conclave assembled, out of a firm and abiding conviction that fly fishing as a way of angling gives to its followers the finest form of outdoor recreation and natural understanding, do hereby join in common effort in order to maintain and further fly fishing….
Today the Fly Fishers International continues on with the original conviction by working hard through our membership, including councils, clubs and individuals, to develop methods and educational materials to enhance the enjoyment of fly fishing be it as a beginner or advanced angler. The Learning Center will gather many of these tried and true programs that have been utilized at home and abroad and place them in one location, our new on-line “Learning Center” geared for all fish in all waters.
The Learning Center will focus on four educational resource areas:
The main objective is to offer quality educational resources for the angler. Everything that encompasses fly fishing, including all waters and all fish will be included hoping to offer something for all interests and levels.
· If you are a fly fishing instructor starting from scratch, the Learning Center will have materials for you to build your program. If you are not new to teaching, there may be topics enhancing an already existing program.
· If you are a fly fishing student, the Learning Center will offer a variety of topics for you to get started or to advance your skills.
· If you are a member of a fly fishing club and wish to offer your members educational programs there will be plenty of material to assist you.
The Learning Center initially will develop its offerings for the beginner fly fisher. During this initial phase of development, the Learning Center offerings will be made available at the FFI Fair in Livingston this August. It also is our goal to have workshops, classes and videos available on-line at the new FFI website under the Learning Center tab. Educational materials will be available for free by visiting the FFI website while others will be available for a modest fee and discounts will be offered for FFI members, councils and clubs.
The FFI President/CEO, Operations Manager and Staff manage the Learning Center. Learning Center programs and delivery also will be appointed by the Chairman of the Board of Directors. Members of the Learning Center Committee will include members from the BOD, Councils, Clubs and general membership. Some are professional fly fishers, authors and fly fishing club instructors.
The following classes and workshops will be offered during the upcoming Fly Fishing Fair in Livingston August 1-5, 2017.
· Fly Tying Class For Beginners
· Women’s Fly Tying Workshop
Fly Fishing Skills
· Women’s Fly Fishing Workshop
· Fly Fishing Knot Tying
· Reading Water “Some Spots Really Are Better Than Others”
· Where are They and What are They Doing? Understanding Freshwater Fish Behavior to Become a Better Angler
· Fly Casting Skills for Fishing-3 Skill Levels (Instructors)
· Attention All Fly Casters Have fun with Your Casting Skills!
· Fear No Tree: The Roll Cast a Great Tool for Successful Fishing!
· Back to Basics Fly Casting
· Conservation and the Fly Fisher
The Learning Center can only succeed if members and key stakeholders support it through gifts of money and time. The Center needs resources to develop and design the curriculum that will be used in the program. Please consider giving a gift today!
Please e-mail the Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 406-222-9369.